President Joseph Biden spoke today with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine.
- According to the White House, President Biden “voiced the deep concerns of the United States and our European Allies about Russia’s aggressive actions towards Ukraine.”
- In the call with Zelenskyy Biden “made clear that the U.S. and our Allies would respond with strong economic and other measures in the event of a further military intervention.”
- Biden reaffirmed the United States’ “unwavering commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
- President Biden made clear that the United States and its allies and partners are committed to the principle of “no decisions or discussions about Ukraine without Ukraine.”
- The two leaders called on Russia to de-escalate tensions and agreed that diplomacy is the best way to make meaningful progress on conflict resolution.
- President Biden underscored the readiness of the United States to engage in support of confidence-building measures to advance the implementation of the Minsk Agreements, in support of the Normandy Format.