Get The Pavlovic Today’s top stories and best reads.
More than 80 million Americans are ordered to stay at home. Here’s what you need to know about the “shelter-in-place” order and its impact on domestic violence.
“Shelter-in-place” is taking social distancing into full effect. While the states essentially can not prohibit residents to leave the house, the options for socializing are restricted. In America, “shelter-in-place” means that residents can continue to perform “essential” duties during the emergency.
Americans can still buy groceries, go for a run, obtain medicine in the pharmacy, order takeout from the restaurant but gatherings are not allowed.
While the isolation measures are designed to curb the spread, there is another social phenomenon on the rise: domestic violence. According to the experts, abusers may take advantage of the restrictions of movement to control their spouse and children and restrict access to food, sanitary supplies and spread disinformation.
According to the memo issued by the National Domestic Violence Hotline Staying Safe During COVID-19 these are some examples of how COVID-19 could impact intimate partner violence survivors:
1. Abusive partners may withhold necessary items, such as hand sanitizer or disinfectants.
2. Abusive partners may share misinformation about the pandemic to control or frighten survivors, or to prevent them from seeking appropriate medical attention if they have symptoms.
3. Abusive partners may withhold insurance cards, threaten to cancel insurance, or prevent survivors from seeking medical attention if they need it.
4. Programs that serve survivors may be significantly impacted –- shelters may be full or may even stop intakes altogether. Survivors may also fear entering shelter because of being in close quarters with groups of people.
5. Survivors who are older or have chronic heart or lung conditions may be at increased risk in public places where they would typically get support, like shelters, counseling centers, or courthouses.
6. Travel restrictions may impact a survivor’s escape or safety plan – it may not be safe for them to use public transportation or to fly.
7. An abusive partner may feel more justified and escalate their isolation tactics.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline is urging victims and survivors to get in touch.
When will the “Stay-at-Home” order be lifted?
In a late Sunday tweet, Trump suggested that he is looking at ending restrictions against coronavirus.
“We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself,” Trump said. It looks like the president is again prioritizing the economy, his main re-election ticket.
WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 23, 2020
Some of the messages calling for the end of 15 days “Stay at home” order include:
Flatten the curve NOT the Economy
— Renee Williams (@FedupMil) March 23, 2020
The fear of the virus cannot collapse our economy that President Trump has built up.
We The People are smart enough to keep away from others if we know that we are sick or they are sick!
After 15 days are over the world can begin to heal!
— Dawn Michael, PhD
more from the pavlovic today
French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte arrived at 9:18 am at the White House were they were greeted by Joe and Jill Biden. This is the first state visit of Biden’s presidency. Macron was also the first state visit of the Trump presidency. And according to Carlos Elizondo, the White House social secretary,…Keep reading
The Pavlovic Today has obtained the list of presents French President Macron is brining to Joe and Jill Biden. Gifts for Joe Biden Gifts for Jill Biden Gifts for VP Kamala HarrisKeep reading
Today President Biden and Jill Biden will welcome French President Emmanuel Macron and Mrs. Brigitte Macron for a state visit. This will be the first state visit of Biden’s presidency. The President has a packed schedule. It includes an arrival ceremony, bilateral meeting, joint press conference, and state dinner. This will be President Macron’s second…Keep reading
On Tuesday evening, about 120 Conservative MPs flocked into No 10 to watch the England v Wales game. Inside, the flags of England and Wales were displayed on either side of the giant TV. Snacks and drinks were served. MPs stood and joined in singing the national anthem before the game. MPs representing English and…Keep reading
EST 9:00 AM President Biden receives the Presidential Daily Briefing 11:05 AM President Biden departs the White House en route the White House Tribal Nations Summit11:30 AM President Biden delivers remarks at the White House Tribal Nations Summit12:15 PM President Biden departs the White House Tribal Nations Summit en route the White House 12:20 PM President Biden arrives at the White House 5:30 PM The First…Keep reading
On Tuesday, Congressional leaders of both parties spoke to reporters outside the West Wing following their meeting with President Biden. Senator Schumer and Speaker Pelosi were the first ones to address the press . “All four of us agreed we’ve got to resolve this rail shutdown as quickly as possible,” Schumer said. “I don’t like…Keep reading